DefinitionsOctober 30, 2020 9:13 pm Leave your thoughts
For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) CAREGIVER. An individual who has the responsibility for the care of an elderly person as a result of family relationship or who has assumed the responsibility for the care of the person voluntarily, for pecuniary gain, by contract, or as a result of the ties of friendship.
(2) DECEPTION. Deception occurs when a person knowingly:
a. Creates or confirms another’s impression which is false and which the defendant does not believe to be true.
b. Fails to correct a false impression which the defendant previously has created or confirmed.
c. Fails to correct a false impression when the defendant is under a duty to do so.
d. Prevents another from acquiring information pertinent to the disposition of the property involved.
e. Sells or otherwise transfers or encumbers property, failing to disclose a lien, adverse claim, or other legal impediment to the enjoyment of the property, whether that impediment is or is not valid, or is not a matter of official record.
f. Promises performance which the defendant does not intend to perform or knows will not be performed.
(3) ELDERLY PERSON. A person 60 years of age or older.
(4) EMOTIONAL ABUSE. The intentional or reckless infliction of emotional or mental anguish or the use of a physical or chemical restraint, medication, or isolation as punishment or as a substitute for treatment or care of any elderly person.
(5) FINANCIAL EXPLOITATION. The use of deception, intimidation, undue influence, force, or threat of force to obtain or exert unauthorized control over an elderly person’s property with the intent to deprive the elderly person of his or her property or the breach of a fiduciary duty to an elderly person by the person’s guardian, conservator, or agent under a power of attorney which results in an unauthorized appropriation, sale, or transfer of the elderly person’s property.
(6) INTIMIDATION. A threat of physical or emotional harm to an elderly person, or the communication to an elderly person that he or she will be deprived of food and nutrition, shelter, property, prescribed medication, or medical care or treatment.
(7) NEGLECT. The failure of a caregiver to provide food, shelter, clothing, medical services, medication, or health care for an elderly person.
(8) PERSON. A human being.
(9) UNDUE INFLUENCE. Domination, coercion, manipulation, or any other act exercised by another person to the extent that an elderly person is prevented from exercising free judgment and choice.
This post was written by admin